Anesthesia Technician Career Opportunities in Pakistan Scope Jobs Income Required Education Salaries future info complete guide with courses, admissions and requirements complete details. Anesthesia Technician (US English) is an allied healthcare worker who assists with the administration and monitoring of anesthesia and has an extensive knowledge of anesthesia techniques, instruments, supplies, and technology.
Anaesthetic technicians are mainly employed by Anaesthetic departments or operating theater suites, but can be found in other areas of clinical practice including emergency departments, intensive care units (ICU) and day surgery clinics.
Anaesthetic technicians are involved with all aspects of the delivery of a patient’s perioperative anaesthetic care, taking into account the patients’ religious and cultural beliefs and respecting their right to medical privacy and dignity at all times. Anaesthetic Technician also provide a key role in the emergency resuscitation of patients.
Prior to Anaesthesia
Anaesthetic technicians prepare equipment needed for the patient to safely undergo anaesthesia. This involves:
- checking and setting up the anaesthetic machine
- preparing intravenous drugs
- preparing intravenous therapy administration equipment
- preparing a range of devices to maintain the patient’s airway (e.g. laryngeal masks, endotracheal tube)
- communicating with the patient when they arrive into the operating theatre
- establish peripheral intravenous access.
- applying anaesthetic monitoring to help assess the patients’ condition whilst under anaesthesia. This may include electrocardiography (ECG), blood pressure and oxygen saturation devices. The monitoring of other parameters such as anaesthesia depth monitors (EEG, bispectral index etc.) may also be necessary.
The anaesthetic technicians role includes assisting with:
- inducing and maintaining adequate anaesthesia.
- establishing and securing an airway.
- making sure that patients are positioned in such a way NOT to cause discomfort or injury during their procedure.
- monitoring and maintaining patients’ vital signs and anaesthesia depth.
- temperature monitoring and regulation.
- collection and analysis of patient (blood) samples.
- acquiring and administering transfusion fluids and equipment.
Anaesthetic technicians assist the anaesthetist with:
- waking the patient.
- removing airway devices.
- transferring patients to post-operative care units
Regional variations exist, but anaesthetic technicians may also be involved with:
- Intra-operative intra-aortic balloon pump setup, operating and monitoring.
- Swan-Ganz pulmonary artery catheter insertion and monitoring.
- Intra-operative blood salvage setup, operating and monitoring.
- Arterial blood gas analysis, including maintenance of analysers.
- Arterial line insertion and monitoring.
- Peripheral IV line insertion.
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Central IV lines.
- TEG Sampling.
Personal requirements of a Anaesthetic Technician
- Good communication and people skills
- Attention to detail
- Able to work under pressure
- Good technical and measurement skills
- Aptitude for working with computers
- Organised and methodical
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job
Anesthesia Technician Career Opportunities in Pakistan
Education & Training for a Anaesthetic Technician
To become a qualified anaesthetic technician you usually have to complete a VET qualification in anaesthetic technology. To get into these courses you usually have to be employed in the anaesthetic area of a hospital or medical clinic, working under an appropriately qualified supervisor. As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further information.