Get all information about Dental Technology Career in Pakistan and its courses, major subjects, edibility, skills requirement, responsibility, and career opportunities. Dental Technology is the technical aspect of dentistry. A dental technician makes any prosthesis or device for the head and neck. Without dental technology, dentistry is complicated. The dental technology program covers the construction and details of crowns, bridges, implants, and dentures. Dental technologists are part of the dental team and work in dental laboratories to repair and construct dental devices used in orthodontic treatment. Dental technicians are healthcare professionals who design, build, improve, or alter dental appliances. Dental technologists are also responsible for overseeing the technical aspects of dental laboratory operations. The profession of Dental Technologist can be found in the healthcare sector. Dental technologists are responsible for the entire scope of dental technology practice. They also supervise the technical aspects and operation of the dental laboratory.
Career in Dental Technology
The dentists will send the prescription and the impression to the lab of a dental technologist, where the design, fabrication, or repair of the prescribed prosthesis takes place. Although they work in different locations, dentists and dental technologists work together closely as a team. In the completion of prescriptions, dentists can rely on the professional judgment of dental technologists.
- Interpreting prescriptions and their assessment.
- Consultation to discuss changes that would be beneficial for the patient.
- Determining the form and contours of the material, as well as the production methods
This course is innovative and will provide expertise and knowledge in the following areas: Money Management for Dental Laboratories; Complete and Partial Dental Design; Porcelain Laminate Veneers; Face Bow transfers, and Articulators. Dental technicians or dental technologists are responsible for creating different dental appliances such as bridges, crowns and dentures, orthodontic appliances, braces, dental braces, and dental braces. The dentist follows each patient’s prescription when dental technicians are called in.
Dental Technology Career in Pakistan Jobs Opportunities
Eligibility Criteria for Dental Technologist
Dental Technology Diploma
Matric (Science): Minimum 45% (Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects).
BS Dental Technology
The applicant must have an FSc. Pre-medical or equivalent qualifications should be obtained from a board/institution with at least 50% marks.
Dental Technologist Jobs Description
Dental technicians make dental prosthetics such as bridges, crowns, and dentures. These devices are made from impressions that dentists and dental hygiene professionals take of patients’ teeth. Dental technicians also follow the written and oral instructions of dentists.
Graduates can work in the following areas:
- Hospital dental services
- Cosmetic dentistry
- Dental technicians
- Commercial dental laboratories
- Manufacture dental prosthetic materials
Major Subjects in Dental Technology
- General Surgery
- Dental Surgery
- General Medicine
- Oral Histology
- Oral Pathology
- Infection Control
- Oral Surgery
- Oral Medicine
- Dental Materials
- Period ontology
- Community Dentistry
- Dental Instrumentation
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Preventive Dentistry
- Implantology & Bridge Design
- Research Methodology
- Operative Dentistry
Additional Subject Modules
- Anatomy of the structure of the denture area.
- Occlusion and human dentition.
- The function of the teeth and the morphology of crowns.
- Tooth carving in plaster and wax
- Muscles for facial expression and mastication.
- Mastication duplication, Phoenician
- The movement of the temporomandibular joint.
- Cast preparation, trimming, and orthodontic casts.
- Cast duplication various methods.
- Construction of bridges and structures using acrylic and porcelain pontics.
- Principles of bridgework types of abutments & pontics
- Base plates for bite blocks and wax rims
- Principles of selecting the correct teeth
- Immediate denture construction
- Design, surveying, the path for insertion and elimination, principles of partial denture design
- The principles of wire bending
- Preparation of wrought clasps.
Dental Technology Career in Pakistan
Commercial dental labs employ dental technicians, which can range in size from small to very large. These laboratories will provide prescriptions for you and can also fix and adapt your appliances. There may be the possibility to specialize, especially in a larger lab. You might also be a specialist technician at a hospital’s dental department, making dental appliances and maxillofacial restorations. You may also have the opportunity to work in large private practices, which might employ their dentists to complete work. You may also have the opportunity to work for the armed forces. Dental technicians may be involved in research and teaching undergraduate dental students using one approved course provider by the GDC. After gaining enough experience, you can start your own business.
Future of Dental Technology
The digitalization of all aspects and dental care is a trend that is rapidly growing. The process began with electronic records, moved to digital medical imaging technology, and is progressing to digital treatments, such as endodontic electronic apex locators, automatic periodontal probes, virtual impressions, computer-fabricated restorations, and in-office testing (“laboratory-on-a-chip” systems) to evaluate a patient’s blood sugar, perform microbial assays, and monitor a patient’s stress level. The expectation of complete treatment has grown among patients. This includes single-visit root canal treatment (in most cases), preparation, placement, and restoration of the implant. Endodontists face a challenge in the current world. There is a growing consensus that removing the tooth and placing an implant might be the best long-term treatment. This would apply to cases where endodontics may also require a post, buildup, pins, and crown lengthening. The prudent clinician should inform the patient about both options and let the patient decide. If the patient chooses the lower option (e.g., due to insurance coverage), the informed refusal should be documented.
Responsibilities for Dental Technician
You will need to be a dental technician to:
- All aspects of prosthetic work are undertaken, including casting, mouth guards, retainers, and making bites on special trays.
- To replace missing teeth, partial or complete dentures can be made (metal or non-metal).
- From doctors’ impressions, create precise models.
- Porcelain veneers can be made using ceramic-metal techniques for crowns, prostheses, and implant restorations.
- From impressions taken by the dentist, construct models of the teeth and mouth.
- Make diagnostic wax-ups, Smile Design cases, and dental composite work.
- Implant-borne restorations can be used to restore natural teeth. This includes the creation of crowns and bridges, as well as attaching them to complex implant units.
- Correct dental irregularities with fixed or removable devices, such as dentures, retainers, and casings.
- Maxillofacial prostheses can be used to replace the missing tissues of the face and body due to injury, disease, or other developmental abnormality.
- use traditional methods and CAD/CAM for designing dental devices
- Maintain dental laboratory records, and prepare reports about laboratory activities
- Participate in professional organizations, read professional publications, maintain personal networks, and update your knowledge as a dental lab technician.
These are the things you will need:
- Manual dexterity
- A solid understanding of morphology
- Attention to detail and ability to focus for long periods
- Design skills and knowledge are required to copy shapes
- The ability to analyze performance or quality
- Ability to work well together
- Thinking and reasoning skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work under time pressure
- Familiarity with all aspects regarding prosthetics and thermoforming.
- Experience in crown and bridge work
- Implant systems CAM/CAD knowledge.